I used common craft glass paint on the clear pieces to get the necessary yellow windscreen (this has been done before... originally by Zachmoe, I think.) It's simply painted on with a cheap brush and later peels off harmlessly like plastic wrap.
The studs forward technique makes the side nacelles perfectly sturdy: no drooping whatsoever. I was worried about the 'neck' though, as I didn't have anyway of running technic beams through the middle or tacking tiles along the outside to keep the stack from cracking up. Fortunately, the maximum supportable length was about what I wanted visually. (This is probably one of the biggest models I've made that is still one-hand-swooshable.)
I originally developed landing gear that were more delicate and jack-knifed into position; they actually supported the weight but I scrapped them for the current beefier version containing only one hinge each.
True classic fans will note the small, light gray doors on the sides of the aft section: a nod to the Galaxy Explorer... and indeed, these originals survived with me from that very set 30 years ago.